Monday 2 February 2009

Confessions of a speed junkie


Not only was I very good at stuffing my mouth with sweets whilst trying to act all nonchalant, but apparently I was also a speed and adrenalin junkie.

As some of you may know, England has been turned into a veritable winter wonderland today. No trains, no buses, just lots and lots of people who couldn't get into work throwing snowballs at each other in the street. The snow is about 5 inches deep which is unprecedented in recent times, and certainly the deepest I can remember in London. The table in our garden this morning is reminiscent of an iced cake!


It was whilst visiting the parents over the weekend and as the first snowflakes started to fall that I reminded my father of the sledge we had built (he had built) following the Blue Peter fact sheet. It was chuffing brilliant as I recall. Before global warming when we had good snow, deep and crisp and even, every winter there would be plenty of sledging opportunities across the hillocks of Leamington. Dad assures me that I always wanted to go very fast and over and over again! He then let slip that my addiction followed me through the seasons. Apparently when I was very small and we were 'a plage' I would demand that he walked into the sea with me on his shoulders; wanting to go ever deeper. He says he was often scared, I was never.

I then recalled making an entrance to one of my parents' ' Zena and Stan at Home' parties, by coming down the stairs on a tray. I remember the exhilaration of this great feat, and dad remembered that I could have killed myself. I further remembered that it took everyone's attention away from the curious rice salad my mother had prepared and their stranger drunken friends.


Oh sweet memories.

Keep warm.

No comments: